Milchwerke

The Enterprise

We have been counting among the internationally leading manufacturers of fine cheese specialties for many years now.
Already back in 1927, cheese was manufactured in the former „Milchhof Coburg“, following traditional recipes.
Subsequent to a merger, the cooperative „Milchwerke Oberfranken West eG” was formed in 1975.
The first few dairy farmers from Thuringia joined us in 1990. Today, the cooperative counts more than 1050 farmers and comprises two factories with trend-setting production equipment.
You can recognize our cheese specialties by the markings "DE BY 40390 EG" (Wiesenfeld) and "DE BY 603 EG" (Lendershausen).

The Plant

The main plant is located in Wiesenfeld, an urban district of Meeder (Upper Franconia), right in the middle of Europe. Nature is still intact here, large-scale industries are far away.

We produce hard, semi-hard and soft cheese in this plant, as well as convenience products such as camembert in breadcrumbs.

In our Lendershausen branch near Hofheim (Lower Franconia) we produce solely soft cheese.

Milchwerke Oberfranken West eG are – directly and indirectly – a major employer for Upper and Lower Franconia as well as for the neighbouring Thuringia.

Our employees appreciate above all the high technical standards of the factory, the fair cooperation and the continuity in our company’s development.

Raw Material

We process only milk from dairy farms which are tested by public and independent institutions on a regular basis. Welfare oriented animal husbandry with plenty of free space, high-quality forage and state-of-the-art milking installations support our four-legged suppliers with the production of our raw material.

The minimum requirement for each of our dairy farms is to produce according to the quality assurance standard "QM-Milch". This guarantees constantly best quality.

Quality Control

We set maximum value on the quality and safety of our products. Only approved milk is used for production which is subject to the strictest controls.

The continuous examinations are effected both in our in-house laboratory and by independent and public institutions.

Certificates

Meeder Plant

International Food Standard (IFS)

Organic Certificate

Energy Management ISO 50001:2011

Non GMO-Certificate (without genetic modification)

Halal-Certificate

Koscher-Certificate

Hofheim i. Ufr. Plant

International Food Standard (IFS)

Organic Certificate

Koscher-Certificate

History

 

2013

Reconstruction and renovation of our in-house laboratory

2012

Upgrading of the sewage treatment facility with construction of a second wastewater pressure main.

Efficient upgrading of the control-room technology
Milk storage capacities enlarged by setting up an additional 360.000 liter tank

2010

Addition of a hall for packaging convenience products

 

New extensive parking lot for employees

2006

1.000.000 liters of milk are processed per day.

2005

Production capacities for soft cheese are expanded. Both plants in Wiesenfeld and Lendershausen achieve the IFS quality label „Higher Level“.

2004

Installation of new equipment for the production of hard and semi-hard-cheeses. Extension of the refining level.

2003

Milchwerke Oberfranken West eG say „yes“ to expansion and take over the former „Silberdistel“ factory in Lendershausen (Lower Franconia). Soft cheese, , camembert and camembert in breadcrumbs are produced here.

2002/03 

Another reconstruction and addition to create larger capacities for packaging and storage.

2000

Second „Coburg Cheese Festival“ on 28.05.2000

1999

Organic accreditation according to regulation EC 2092/91

1998

New cooling and storage facilities are added

1997

Opening of the new factory outlet in connection with the first „Coburg Cheese Festival“

1996

February: Milchwerke Oberfranken West eG are certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001

1995

Storage facilities for packaging materials are added

1993

Inauguration of the new building on 18.06.1993

1992

Groundbreaking ceremony for the new plant in Wiesenfeld on 11.5.1992 

 

The management committee, the executive manager and the cooperative members decide to erect a new dairy plant

1990

Milk supply from Thuringia begins

1989

German Reunification / Extension of the milk catchment area

1980

Association of the milk processing plants from Coburg, Kaltenbrunn and Rodach to form the "Milchwerke Oberfranken West eG" 

1977

50th Anniversary of „Milchhof Coburg” 

1975

Lease by association with the parent company "Milchwerke Oberfranken West GmbH & Co." 

1974

Approval as producer group 

1955

Construction of a production building and extension of the administration building. 80.000 liters of milk are processed per day.

1950

Annex building for cheesemaking 

1938

Extension of the business by building a cheesemaking facility 

1929

Milk processing in the newly erected factory Kanonenweg 46 "Milchhof Coburg eGmbH" – up to 6.000 liters of milk are processed per day.

1928

Beginning of provisional milk processing in the manor in Niederfüllbach near Coburg 

1927

Inaugural meeting of the „Milchverwertungsgenossenschaft (= Milk Utilisation Cooperative) Coburg und Umgebung eGmbH" on 10th December 1927 – a historical date. A dedicated community of farmers located in an around Coburg launch the „Milchverwertungsgenossenschaft Coburg und Umgebung e.GmbH“. The 32 charter members have a common goal: to provide milk of constantly high quality to the consumers. At the same time, the network safeguards the profitability of the individual farms.